Monday, April 11, 2011

MAKING LIFE DELICIOUS!

Read: Ps. 119:97-104  Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statues. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word. I have not departed from your laws for you yourself have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

A well-known restaurant’s motto is “Making Life Delicious” and having eaten there a few times, I can agree that they do produce flavorful and delicious meals. What we eat may be plain yet nourishing (think: school-cafeteria) but how much more we enjoy food when it goes to that next level of “flavorful and delicious”! In my mind, that’s the difference between EATING and DINING. Just the term dining makes me think of leisurely meals with a hint of graciousness.

How interesting that the Bible tells us to “…taste and see that the Lord is good” Ps. 34:8 and again, “How sweet are thy words to my taste, yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth” Ps. 119:103.  God’s word isn’t just nourishing to the soul but there is a goodness, a sweetness that takes “soul food” to the next level.  To the person who is hungering for God, there is a promise of not just satiety but of delightful pleasure in that satisfaction.  God seems to desire dining…when we dine, we take the time to taste our food, not just stuff it down…dining on His word, taking the time to taste the heavenly gift (Heb.6:4).

PLAN: Take time to feast on God’s word every day.
PRAY:  Dear Lord, thank you for the wonderful variety of “soul food” that you provide. 


© HJB

No comments:

Post a Comment