Friday, August 5, 2011

A Lesson Learned from Failure

 Luke 12:48 To whom much is given, much is required.

“The awareness of a need and the capacity to meet that need:  this constitutes a call.” John R. Mott  

A lesson in obedience at the post office, no less!  I saw the need, I had the resources, and I refused to give up my place in line to help someone.
Clearly, I sensed a prompting from the Holy Spirit to assist a young mother in need of $20 for her sick child’s medicine. The check to cover the prescription hadn’t arrived in the mail that day and the postmaster sent her off sobbing and empty-handed. With just a few weeks until Christmas, I was third in line with many behind me—the “sacrifice” of leaving my spot seemed greater than the divine invitation to be a servant of Christ in providing needed resources.

That experience of failure reminded me of this quote from Dee Hock, the founder of Visa: “You learn nothing from your success except to think too much of yourself.  It is from failure that all growth comes, provided you can recognize it, admit it, learn from it, rise above it and then try again.”  God “called” me that day and I selfishly ignored His message. I always pray that I will answer and respond when He so prompts again. Lesson learned.

Dear God:  Please forgive me when I fail to heed the prodding of the Holy Spirit. Allow me opportunities to serve others as You would desire with the resources that You have provided. Amen.

©  J. Beckman August 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment